We knew it wouldn’t take Lucasfilm long to find a new director for Star Wars: Episode IX. When Colin Trevorrow parted ways with the studio last week, it seemed obvious that there would be two names at the top of their list: Rian Johnson, director of The Last Jedi, and J.J. Abrams, Star Wars executive producer and director of The Force Awakens. Johnson took his name out of the running pretty early on, and now it seems as though Abrams is stepping up to the plate.
Netflix’s scramble to cut some kind of deal with Disney after the company announced their own Disney-exclusive streaming service last month seems to have come to naught, as CEO Bob Iger announced that Marvel and Star Wars movies would also be among the films appearing exclusively on the new app Disney hopes to launch by 2019. Better get those Moana viewings in fast, folks.
In addition to announcing a boatload of new LEGO Star Wars products coming to tie into Force Friday II, LEGO finally revealed the rumored revamp of its Ultimate Collector Series Millennium Falcon set. Originally released in 2007, the Millennium Falcon set was one of the most sought-after LEGO vehicles ever sold. In the last 10 years however, it's been impossible to find at a fair price. Now on the verge of the ninth proper Star Wars film release, LEGO is releasing an all-new take on the Falcon that is not only the largest set ever released, it's also frighteningly amazing.
They already unveiled the massive model of the Star Wars Land coming soon to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, but today at Disney’s D23 convention, the Mouse House gave even more details about this expansion, coming some time in 2019. Most importantly, they gave the thing a name: Henceforth, it is officially called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. (The name covers both the Disneyland and Disney World versions.) You will be forgiven if you continue to call it Star Wars Land.
Woody Harrelson is a pretty chill dude, so when he was recently asked about Ron Howard replacing Phil Lord and Chris Miller on the Han Solo spinoff, his response wasn’t particularly surprising: “I wouldn’t worry.” Of course he wouldn’t worry; he’s Woody Harrelson, a man who wears flip flops to film premieres and calls fellow mellow dude Matthew McConaughey his BFF.
Ron Howard is a very capable director who knows how to position a camera and capture a powerful image. But I also have a sneaking suspicion that maybe Ron Howard isn’t great at social media or taking casual phone pics. He seems like the type of dad who accidentally snaps a selfie when attempting to take a shot of a sunset, or butt-Facetimes his family. Just look at his latest Twitter photo.
We’re still reeling from the news that Phil Lord and Chris Miller have walked off (or been fired from) the Han Solo spinoff Star Wars anthology film, but this movie has a release date in less than a year, and it is coming to theaters, with Lord/Miller or not. Although the news that the directing duo was not finishing Han Solo was announced today, the search for a replacement was already underway. Deadline says that Lucasfilm’s top pick at the moment is Ron Howard, the Oscar-winning filmmaker of movies like Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, and The Da Vinci Code:
The owner of the largest privately-owned Star Wars memorabilia collection in the world, known as Rancho Obi-Wan, has announced today that it has been systematically robbed over a period of many months from 2015 to 2016. Steve Sansweet, who offers tours of the ranch and its many pieces of Star Wars history, says that not only do the items taken make up about $200,000, it appears to be an inside job.