Cicely Tyson Turns 93-years-old Today
Happy birthday, Cicely Tyson! How many 93-year-olds do you know who look this amazing?Well, we always say, 'Black don't crack! Well, Cicely Tyson has only proved that theory true! As Black women, we always speak of 'Black girl magic,'! Well... abracadabra Tyson is the epitome of Black girl magic! Having lived an entire century, she's looking just as youthful as any 60-year-old and has blurred lines, crossed boundaries and accomplished more than many of us can ever dream of. Having no surviving members of her immediate family, Tyson has kept pushing for many years and has never been a disappointment neither on film nor as a philanthropist. The Tony winner, three time Emmy winner and Oscar nominee, remained loyal to her commitment to only play positive images of Black women. She can be quoted saying:
"The choices of roles I made had to do with educating and entertaining. And as a result, I found myself working only every two or three years."
She is, hands down, one of the most talented, inspirational and beautiful actresses to ever grace a stage or screen.
See how a little brown girl in the '40s got started and proved that she was talented.
Watch below as Ms. Tyson talkes about being divinely guided and what that feels like.
Below are a few fun facts about Cicely Tyson:
- She worked as a secretary and model while establishing herself as an actress.
- Currently residing in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Is an honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (We won't hold that against her... skee wee:)
- Is the first-African American actress to win an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Television Movie for her performance in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman(1974).
- In 1972, she and singer-actress Diana Ross were both nominated for "Best Actress in a Leading Role" Oscars for their performances in Sounder (1972) and Lady Sings the Blues(1972), respectively. This was only the second time in the history of the Academy Awards that African-American actresses were nominated in the "Best Actress" Oscar category.
- She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, by President Barack Obama, in a live televised ceremony held in the East Room of the White House, on November 22, 2016.
- On November 23rd 2016, she was awarded the prestigious Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama for her contribution to the arts and American culture.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MS. TYSON! You give us all something to shoot for!