Potential Explosives Mailed To Obamas & Clintons
The Secret Service has made an official announcement that suspicious packages, described as ""potential explosive devices" were mailed to the homes of former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Hillary Clinton.
New York City's Mayor, Bill de Blasio had the following comment for CNN:
This clearly is an act of terror, attempting to undermine our free press and leaders of this country through acts of violence.
Secret Service, FBI and local law enforcement were swift to respond and continue to investigate. As we get more information, we will share it with you. Here's what we do know:
- CNN's John Sciuotto via Twitter: "Debbie Wasserman Schultz's Florida office evacuated after suspicious package mailed there this morning."
- CNN is reporting that the package sent to CNN today was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan. [UPDATE: The package also contained white powder.]
- It was earlier reported that a suspicious device was intercepted by Secret Service headed to the White House. That has now been reported as untrue.
- White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders: "We condemn the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures."
- A suspected device was also sent to the Time Warner Center mailroom. The Time Warner Center is where the offices of CNN are located in New York City. The entire building has been evacuated.
- On Monday, billionaire George Soros was also mailed a similar device.